#1 ADent1

ADent1

Junior Boxer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationHolloman AFB, NM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:42 PM

So my husband and I are trying to fly home soon since we haven't seen our family for almost 2 years! We want to bring our dogs with us since Ali got sick the last time we left her with our neighbors. We're trying to figure out how to do it though..we get a military discount if we ship them so it's not the cost I'm worried about. I'm trying to figure out how to make sure they land the same time we do! They can't go as checked I don't think because they'll be too big so if they're cargo (i think american airlines is the only one that does this) and we're on separate airlines how will I know where they are and how to get them there at the same time?! Anyone else that's delt with this I would greatly appreciate your input.

#2 CherryPie

CherryPie

Junior Boxer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationWatertown, NY

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:33 PM

So my husband and I are trying to fly home soon since we haven't seen our family for almost 2 years! We want to bring our dogs with us since Ali got sick the last time we left her with our neighbors. We're trying to figure out how to do it though..we get a military discount if we ship them so it's not the cost I'm worried about. I'm trying to figure out how to make sure they land the same time we do! They can't go as checked I don't think because they'll be too big so if they're cargo (i think american airlines is the only one that does this) and we're on separate airlines how will I know where they are and how to get them there at the same time?! Anyone else that's delt with this I would greatly appreciate your input.

I have never flown with my dogs, but I just happened to read this article yesterday about the risks of short-nosed dogs flying. I think that it's something you should be aware of before you put your dogs on a plane.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38279195/

#3 ADent1

ADent1

Junior Boxer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationHolloman AFB, NM

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:48 PM

I have never flown with my dogs, but I just happened to read this article yesterday about the risks of short-nosed dogs flying. I think that it's something you should be aware of before you put your dogs on a plane.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38279195/

Yeah, I've read about that. You just have to make sure you're not flying when it's too hot or too cold. Most airlines won't fly pug nosed dogs if it's not within a certain temperature! Thanks :)

#4 Mom2Rocky

Mom2Rocky

Boxer Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:13 AM

I don't know much about flying animals. I do know that my brother flew with his German Shepard in the United States.. The dog was on the same plane as he was.. So all they had to do is go to the pet area to pick him shortly after they landed. They also had to delay their flight a day or so because of the hot temps.

#5 Willow

Willow

Administrators

• Administrators
  • 4,879 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:54 AM

Most airlines have very strict guidlines during the summer for flying any animals,short nosed or not, so providing you don't plan on flying like within the next few months it will be easier..First off, you need good sturdy kennels, I like Vari Kennel. I believe when Ky and Alvin flew home, they weren't able to get the dogs on the same carrier, but were able to get them on another carrier that would land about the same time, you may want to check into that as well..My only experience is with shipping overseas, so not sure how much help I would be. Assuming you aren't flying overseas, I don't believe you need a health certificate, but you may want to check on that.I've added a link to a specialty airline that just deals with animals in regards to shipping, the services may be too limited for you, but worth a look

http://www.petairways.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users